It’s time to mark your calendars for an exciting musical opportunity. The 29th annual “Community Messiah Performance” is just around the corner.
Date: Sunday November 20, 2016
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Place: Holy Family Catholic Church Grand Blanc
This year’s director is Dr. Simon Lee, Director of all Music Activities at both Holy Family Catholic Church and Holy Family Catholic School. Dr. Lee has selected nine choruses to be performed and has scheduled two very important rehearsals – times and dates listed below.
Sunday – November 6, - 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday – November 13, - 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
THERE IS NO AUDITION – however, each year because there are some changes in choruses, a new director, a new site, and a performance dress code, it is very important that all singers attend both rehearsals if they plan to participate in the performance. All rehearsals as well as the performance will be held in the sanctuary of Holy Family Catholic Church - 11824 S. Saginaw Street, Grand Blanc.
Come to rehearsals with a bottle of water, a sharpened pencil, and your own copy of Händel’s “Messiah” (any edition will work).
Scroll down for other information AND a listing of the choruses.
“Messiah” composed by George Frideric Händel (1685-1759), tells a complete story of the Christian Messiah by using recitatives, arias, and a wealth of choruses. This year’s performance will include choruses, recitatives, and arias from Parts I and II.
Director: Dr. Simon Lee– see above for more information
Instrumentalists: The 2016 Chorus will be accompanied by Dr. Sia Lee at the church’s pipe organ.
• New this year: As you can see, Dr. Simon Lee has nine choruses this year (some familiar, but not all of them). Because of that, Dr Lee is generously giving of his time to offer some OPTIONAL sectional rehearsal help sessions. These optional sectionals will all be held in the sanctuary at Holy Family. Please turn this page over for information concerning these help sessions.
Soprano/Alto Thursday September 29, 8:20 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Soprano/Alto Thursday October 6, 8:20 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Tenor/Bass Thursday October 20, 8:20 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Tenor/Bass Thursday October 27, 8:20 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
These help sessions are NOT to take the place of any rehearsal, they are extra help only
• On the day of the performance there will be a brief run-through to make certain we all will be on the same page at the same time. Singers are expected to attend, but this is not considered a rehearsal and should not suffice for the two rehearsals scheduled 11/06 and 11/13.
• As stated above, bring any edition of “Messiah” you have to rehearsal and attention to the correct page number issue will be addressed. Copies of “Messiah” can be purchased online from Marshall Music or you might be able to borrow one from a local library or church.
• The Internet site listed below will allow you to actually start to learn your part. http://www.cyberbass.com/Major_Works/Handel_GF/Handel_Messiah.htm
However, you will still need a hard copy of the score for both rehearsals and the performance.
• Appropriate dress for rehearsals is anything in which you feel comfortable.
• Appropriate dress for performance will be all black/dark navy: black/dark navy skirts/pants/dresses for women, black/dark navy pants for men, black/dark navy shirts/sweaters/tops on everyone. NO LOGOS, PICTURES, LIGHT TRIM, JEWELRY, OR WRITING OF ANY KIND ON BLACK/DARK NAVY TOPS
• Please bring a pencil, a full water bottle, and your copy of “Messiah” to each rehearsal.
We look forward to working with you on this exciting collaborative and creative musical experience.
LISTING OF CHORUSES
Dr. Lee will decide the order in which he will rehearse the choruses and tell the chorus members at the beginning of each rehearsal. Be prepared.
#4 And The Glory of the Lord
#9 O Thou that Tellest Good Tidings
#12 For Unto Us a Child is Born
#17 Glory to God
#22 Behold the Lamb of God
#24 Surely He Hath Borne Our Griefs
#28 He Trusted in God That He Would Deliver Him
#33 Lift Up Your Heads